Excellence Is Our Standard
Michigan Divorce Attorney for Men
Are You A Man Thinking About (Or Ready To File For) Divorce, Or Been Served Divorce Papers and Looking for a Southwest Michigan Area Divorce Law Firm That Understands The Potential Disadvantage Of Being A Divorcing Man?
Look, We Know We’re Not The Only Divorce Lawyers In Michigan, And We Know You May Be Searching For The Right Attorney to Help You. We’re Different. We Have Successfully Handled A LOT Of Men’s Divorces, Probably Just Like Yours. We Do Not Complicate Cases For Extra Billing, Really Care And Keep Our Focus on the Best Interests Of You & Your Family
Traditionally, courts have a reputation as being “Pro-Mom” in a divorce case involving children. While generally, fathers are winning 50/50 custody with their ex-spouse today, many fathers don’t want to leave the custody of their children to chance. Our Michigan family lawyers understand the disposition of fathers and can help ensure the best outcome from your divorce.
Why Choose LaBre Law?
- Highly Reviewed & Rated – A+ BBB Rated, Highly rated on Google with 100+ reviews—5-star rating on respected legal site AVVO.
- Flexible Meeting Times – To accommodate your busy schedule. Our office is in Edwardsburg, but we accept cases throughout Southwest Michigan & Northern Indiana, including South Bend. We do consultations by phone and virtually and have flexible meeting times to accommodate your busy schedule.
- Efficient – Our approach is to be efficient and not complicate cases for more billable hours.
- Highly Responsive – We strive for “freaky fast” returned client calls. No going dark or waiting days to hear back.
- We Take Complex & Difficult Cases – This is where tenacity and knowledge of the law matter. We do what’s necessary, even in complicated situations.
- Proven Track Record of Success at Trial – While often the goal is to avoid trial, when we take a case to court, we are proud of our high success rate even when the odds are stacked against us.
- Proactive Approach – We help clients prevent legal problems and mistakes before they happen.
- Caring & Compassionate (truly) – We have a personal connection to Probate & Estate Administration matters. It yields genuine care for what you are going through and where you are headed.
- We Keep You Updated – Because you want to know what’s happening with your case at all points in the process.
- Because Your Family and Happiness Are at Stake – The smoother and fairer this process goes, the better the post-divorce interactions tend to be. This is better for the children (when applicable), you, and your ex-spouse.
- For Clients Who are Business Owners and High-Net-Worth Individuals – We know the intricacies, perils, challenges, and successful strategies to maximize the chances of achieving your desired outcome.
Ask a Question,
Describe Your Situation,
Request a Consultation
Call (269) 431-2058 or fill out the short form below. We will usually respond within 1 business day but often do so the same day. Don’t hesitate, your questions are welcome.
* Required Fields
We respect your privacy. The information you provide will be used to answer your question or to schedule an Appointment if requested.
Get The Help You Need
Retaliatory Tactics In Divorce
A rare yet serious event that may take place in high-contention divorces is retaliation. Retaliation is frowned upon by Michigan judges, naming these practices as uncooperative. It does not always deter the offending party from attempting retaliation. Retaliation can come in the form of untrue allegations of marital misconduct and, in the most severe cases, misconduct against children of the marriage. This tactic can be severely detrimental to a divorce case, and unfortunately, it is often weaponized against men in the marriage when the other spouse feels scorned. Our Experienced Family Lawyers will help clear your name and achieve the best outcome for your situation.
Certain aspects of divorce can be seen as harsher for men. Many men are either “sole earners” or the household’s primary earner, subjecting them to harsher alimony/maintenance and split property rulings. Michigan is an “equitable distribution” state, meaning that property such as the house will be divided based on what the court deems “fair.” Financial contribution will usually be taken into account when dividing marital property.
Father’s Rights in Michigan
Marriage in Michigan automatically presumes the father of a child to be the mother’s husband, so long as there is no active paternity dispute and the child was born or conceived during marriage. This presumption makes things significantly easier for fathers fighting for custodial rights. Even still, many fathers have to jump through hoops in some instances to get what is in the best interest of their child(ren). The worst-case scenario can see fathers being denied their visitation rights. You can prepare for this by working with our experienced and bold team to protect their reputation and relationship with your child(ren).
Client Reviews - Labre Law OfficesClick Here for More Reviews from Clients
Actual Words Clients Have Used to Describe Us & Their Experience:
“Responded Quickly Any Time I Had A Question Or Concern”, “Explained Everything Completely”, “Very Quick And Easy Process”, “Focused On Client Priorities For The Outcome”, “Knew The Law”, “Honest, Genuine, And Professional”, “Very Prompt With Appt”, “Was Able To Adapt His Approach To Our Case Throughout The Process”, “Answered All Of Our Questions Clearly And Through”, “Always Checked In With Me And Kept Me Updated”, “Very Caring, Passionate, Dedicated, Knowledgeable”, “Ultimately We Won Our Case”, “Most Professional Lawyer I’ve Ever Had”, “Was Able To Get My Case Closed Early”, “Paid Close Attention To Detail”, “Really Got To Know My Case”, “Great Lawyer And Great Person”, “Price Was Extremely Fair”, “Had My Back”, “Worked Hard For Me”, “Gets Right To The Point And Tells You What Can Happen”, “Understood The Urgency Of Our Situation”, “Solved My Dilemma Quickly”, “Worked With Me After Hours And Some Late Nights Due To My Work Schedule”, “Very Involved In Every Facet His Case”, “Leaves No Stone Unturned.”
If these things are what you are looking for in a law firm, then contact us to see how we can help you and your family.
Get The Help You Need
Michigan does not require separation before filing for or finalizing divorce as many other states do.
In Michigan, couples may file for or finalize their divorce even while living together. If one spouse lives in Michigan, you may file for divorce in the state. The state may have limited jurisdiction if one spouse has never lived in Michigan. Our divorce attorneys will handle the many matters that must be resolved during this difficult and emotionally stressful time. We will work with you to provide the best possible outcome for your divorce.
We understand that the divorce experience can differ significantly from person to person. Some people who come to see us to discuss divorce are in the very early stages of contemplating a split, while others may be reeling from unexpectedly being served with a summons and complaint for divorce by their spouse. Some may have an early inkling that their spouse is considering dissolving the marriage and want to educate themselves about the legal implications in advance. In other situations, both spouses may have known for years that divorce is the right option for them but have only recently decided that the timing is right.
We understand that people in different situations have different needs and concerns, and we help them find their way.
Get The Help You Need
Our Location – Serving North Central Michigan
We help families both locally within and near the Northern Michigan border. Clients come to us from South Bend, Elkhart, Mishawaka, Goshen, Shipshewana, La Porte, and surrounding areas.
What To Do Now
We welcome your questions and want to understand your situation to help you move forward and achieve the peace of mind that comes with having everything done properly and efficiently. Call our law office at (269) 431-2058 with questions and a description of your situation to see if we can assist or to schedule a consultation. Or you may simply fill out the form above on this page. Your form will be directly emailed to our office, and you can expect a reply within 1 business day and often within hours of the same day. All information you share is confidential.