Criminal Defense Law
Our Criminal Defense Attorney Team Represents Individuals Facing Criminal Charges in Michigan and Indiana. Don’t Leave Your Freedom to Chance. Call LaBre Law Office Today.
LaBre Law is Your Criminal Defense Law Firm
Being accused of a crime is devastating — not only for you but for your entire family. We know the emotional and financial strain can often seem too much to bear. If you are facing charges, call our experienced criminal defense attorney team today to discuss your legal options.
Criminal charges have the potential to impact the rest of your life. You need an ally who can fight for you. Our attorneys offer aggressive criminal defense, and we do not shy away from any case. We will meticulously examine the facts and work with you to build a strategy appropriate to your needs and goals. Contact LaBre Law Office today to schedule a consultation.
Types of Criminal Defense Cases We Handle in Michigan
At LaBre Law Office, we defend our clients in Michigan and Indiana who are facing the following criminal charges:
- Assault and Battery
- Child Abuse
- Domestic Violence
- Driver License Restoration & Reinstatement
- Drug Crimes
- DUI/OWI Drunk Driving Charges
- Federal Charges
- Financial Fraud
- Gun Crimes and Firearm Charges
- Health Care Fraud
- Home Invasion
- Internet Crimes
- Interference with Electronic Device
- Juvenile Crimes
- Probation Violations
- Resisting and Obstructing
- Sex Crimes
- Speeding and Traffic Offenses
- Theft and Fraud
- White Collar Crimes
We can assist you with felony or misdemeanor charges, appeals, or pursuing expungement. Every criminal defense case is unique, and you need a criminal law attorney that will treat you and your case with the needed care and attention while pursuing your interests. We invite you to contact us today so we can discuss the specific details of your legal issue and work toward an effective strategy.
We will keep you informed about the status of your case and represent you competently and aggressively throughout the proceedings. Our comprehensive and innovative investigation methods and trial representation distinguishes us from the rest.
There is no question that you require immediate criminal defense representation if law enforcement is moving forward against you. However, choosing the correct lawyer for your situation is the more complicated decision. LaBre Law Office should be your choice based on over three decades of criminal law representation, an intricate understanding of the system, and an outstanding proven record of satisfied clients in our community.
When it comes to something this important, don’t wait. Don’t let criminal charges ruin your life. Our experienced criminal justice attorneys have represented clients like you for over 43 years. We understand the importance of communication and will meet with you regularly throughout this process. We will work diligently to pursue your interests and goals in your case. Contact our criminal defense lawyer team at LaBre Law Office today.
Act Quickly If You Believe You May Soon Be Charged With a Crime
If you believe you might be charged with a crime in Michigan, it’s absolutely critical to contact an experienced criminal justice attorney as soon as possible. This is important for the following reasons:
- Early Intervention: The earlier an attorney is involved, the more options they typically have to help you. They can begin collecting evidence, identifying potential witnesses, and building a defense strategy even before formal charges are filed.
- Preventing or Reducing Charges: By proactively communicating with the prosecutor’s office, your attorney may be able to influence the decision to charge you, the nature of the charges, or the severity of the charges.
- Protecting Your Rights: From the moment you suspect you might be charged, your rights are at risk. An attorney can protect your rights, advise you on what to say and do, and prevent you from inadvertently harming your defense.
- Negotiating Plea Bargains or Having Charges Dropped: If charges are inevitable, an attorney can negotiate a plea bargain, potentially reducing your charges or sentence. In some cases, they might be able to have the charges dropped or dismissed entirely.
Let’s consider an example: Suppose you’re involved in a bar fight and believe you might soon face an assault charge. By contacting an attorney immediately, they can start gathering evidence showing that you acted in self-defense. They can also communicate with the prosecutor’s office, potentially preventing charges from being filed or reducing them to a lesser offense.
Time is of the essence when dealing with potential criminal charges. The sooner you contact an attorney, the better your chances of protecting your freedom and future.
What To Do If You Have Been Charged With a Crime
If you’ve been charged with a crime in Michigan, taking immediate action and avoiding certain behaviors that could negatively impact your case is essential.
- Contact an Experienced Criminal Defense Attorney: You should first contact an experienced criminal attorney. They can help you understand the charges against you, guide you through the complex legal system, and build a strong defense strategy.
- Avoid Common Mistakes: Never confess to a crime without your attorney present. Don’t provide contradictory statements or alibis, and never falsify any evidence. These actions can severely harm your defense.
- Understand the Legal Process: The process typically begins with an arraignment where charges are formally read, and you’re asked to enter a plea. Your attorney may then negotiate a plea bargain or prepare for trial if a satisfactory agreement cannot be reached.
- Avoid Discussing the Case: It’s crucial not to discuss your case with anyone except your attorney, including friends, family, co-workers, and especially on social media. Anything you say or post can be used against you in court.
- Stay Off Social Media: Social media posts can be used as evidence against you. Even seemingly unrelated posts can be twisted to fit the prosecution’s narrative. Avoid social media entirely while your case is ongoing.
- Be Honest with Your Attorney: Always tell your attorney the truth. If they don’t have all the accurate information, they won’t be able to defend you effectively. Remember, attorney-client privilege protects your communications with your attorney.
Common mistakes that could sabotage your defense include:
- Lying or Withholding Information: Honesty with your attorney is paramount. Lying or withholding information can lead to an ineffective defense strategy and harm your case.
- Ignoring Your Attorney’s Advice: Your attorney has the knowledge and experience to guide you. Ignoring their advice can lead to severe consequences.
- Talking to the Police Without an Attorney: You have the right to remain silent and the right to an attorney. Don’t speak to the police without your attorney present.
Every step you take can heavily impact your case. Having an experienced Michigan criminal defense attorney by your side can make a significant difference in protecting your rights, your freedom, and your future.
Distinguishing Felony Charges Versus Misdemeanor Charges
In Michigan, criminal charges are categorized into two primary types: felonies and misdemeanors. Understanding the difference between these two is essential as they carry distinct consequences and penalties.
Felonies are severe crimes. They include offenses such as murder, rape, arson, or grand theft. The punishment for a felony conviction is harsh, often involving imprisonment for more than one year. In some cases, life imprisonment or even the death penalty may be imposed.
Felonies will remain on your criminal record permanently, making it difficult to secure employment, housing, or loans in the future. You could also lose certain civil rights, such as voting, holding public office, or possessing firearms.
Misdemeanors are less severe crimes, such as petty theft, simple assault, or first-time drunk driving. While still serious, these offenses carry lighter penalties than felonies. Punishment typically includes fines, community service, probation, or jail time of up to one year. Although a misdemeanor conviction is less damaging than a felony, it can still impact your future opportunities and will remain on your criminal record.
Your Next Steps If You Are Facing a Felony or Misdemeanor Charge in Michigan
Whether you’re facing a felony or misdemeanor charge, it’s crucial to consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney to help you navigate the complex legal system, protect your rights, and work towards minimizing the charges’ impact on your life. Every case is unique, so discussing your situation with an attorney who can provide guidance tailored to your specific circumstances is critical.
Contact LaBre Law Office to Discuss Your Legal Issue and Begin Planning Your Criminal Defense Strategy
The sooner you contact an experienced Michigan criminal defense attorney, the more quickly you can begin taking strategic steps in the interest of your freedom and your future opportunities. Your attorney can begin taking steps immediately to guide you.
Your attorney may be able to begin working towards having your existing charges reduced or dropped. Promptly contacting an attorney before you are charged can sometimes help you prevent charges from being filed in some situations. At LaBre Law Office, we are prepared to help you with criminal defense cases throughout the “Michiana” area, on either side of the Michigan-Indiana border.
Contact LaBre Law Office today to schedule a consultation. We will discuss the details of your case and assess your options to begin building your criminal defense strategy.
LaBre Law Office — Excellence is Our Standard
Every situation is different and requires personalized legal strategy and attention. Tell us about your current situation and we would be happy to discuss your legal options. We have the skills, experience and resources needed to provide you with compassionate legal service.
* Required Fields
Schedule A Consultation
Why Choose LaBre Law Office?
Our clients in the Michiana area have confidence when LaBre Law Office handles their legal issues because our general practice law firm has established a record as a trusted member of the community for over four decades, serving our neighbors:
- Caring, aggressive advocacy for your interests in many practice areas
- We represent clients in both Michigan and Indiana
- Straightforward, assertive, and dependable guidance
- Unique legal strategies tailored to each specific case
- We fully address your concerns so you always understand your case’s status
- We will be here for you long after your legal issue is resolved
Excellence is our standard. Call today to schedule a consultation.
Related Practice Areas
Dedicated To Client Satisfaction
What they say about us
Recent Blogs & News
How Child Custody Is Determined In a Michigan Divorce
Divorce can be a daunting and emotionally challenging process for any parent, but for those…
The Silent Struggle: Addressing the Emotional Impact of Divorce on Men
New data released by the U.S. Census Bureau reveals a sharp decline in marriage and…
How to Find the Best Divorce Attorney in Michigan
Divorce can be emotionally draining and overwhelming, but it can also give you a chance…